Coming up with a plan for your proposal can be very stressful. You only get the one proposal after all, and you want to do it in a way that surprises your spouse-to-be, but also delights them and tells them how much you love them. The best proposals can be simple or complicated, it really depends on the people you both are and what allows you to express yourself in a way that they love about you. Here’s a quick guide on 5 types of proposal ideas you can use to inspire your own plan.
#1 — Make It Private
Not everyone wants to be the center of attention, and your significant other might prefer your proposal to be a private and intimate moment shared only by the two of you. Here are some ideas for your homebody spouse-to-be:
- Make or order in their favourite meal and have a candlelit dinner at home
- Wait for a private moment together in your favourite park
- Recreate your first date to recapture the early excitement of your relationship
Private proposal ideas don’t have to be elaborate, they just have to focus on the two of you as a couple without any interference or distractions.
#2 — Make It a Show
However, some people do love a good spectacle, and if you have the time, money and ambition you can arrange for something romantic and unique. Here are some ideas you can use to build your proposal plan:
- Book a choir or band to surprise them with their favourite song and propose at the end
- Take them to see their favourite sports team and arrange for a proposal
- Hire a skywriter plane to write out the proposal in the skies above
Some of these ideas can be riskier, so you should be absolutely sure that your significant other is the kind of person that would appreciate a public proposal like these.
#3 — Make It an Adventure
If your potential spouse-to-be is the active type, there are ways you can really show much you get who they are by making a romantic but adventurous proposal. Here are some ideas that balance the two to inspire you:
- Go on a hike up cliffs or by a waterfall and pick the perfect spot to propose
- Go on a destination wedding and pop the question at a scenic location
- Set them on a treasure hunt with you waiting with the ring at the end
These are fun ideas that can be more costly or be more complicated, so make sure you plan it carefully and have a backup plan if Plan A doesn’t work out.
#4 — Make It Creative
Whether the love of your life is the creative type or simply admires your creativity, you can have a lot of fun and make your proposal very unique by getting imaginative! Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Compose your own song about your love for them and end it with the proposal
- Go to one of those paint lounges and don’t let her see yours is of you proposing until you’re done
- Make a scrapbook using pictures from throughout your relationship and leave the last page blank with the title “Our Engagement”
Whatever way you or your spouse-to-be love to be creative, use that for inspiration. Try baking, music, movies, dancing, singing, and so on.
#5 — Make It Nerdy
Maybe your flame is more of a nerdy type who loves video games, reading, science fiction, or anime, and you can use that to surprise them with a proposal fit for a Queen Geek. Here are some proposal ideas that can use their nerdiness to make a great proposal:
- Go to your favourite Con together and set up a surprise proposal
- Cosplay together as your favourite characters and remind her that she forget her ring “prop”
- Put the ring in a Snitch, Pokeball, Mario coin block, or other iconic item from their favourite thing
You can have a lot of fun with this one, but it’s most effective if they are REALLY into their nerdy hobbies. If it’s more of a casual thing with them, you might want to consider something else.
For other ideas or for some help to bring your master plan together, an event planner with specialized experience in proposals can prove to be very useful. So, no matter which of the above ideas you choose, it’s sure to be spectacular.