There’s nothing worse than putting in the time, sweat, and funding to assemble a great launch party or other business event only to have sparse attendance because you didn’t effectively promote it. You might have a set list of invitees that you can convince to attend, but if your event needs to create interest among other people, you can’t afford to overlook promoting it ahead of time. Social media can be a powerful tool to help you reach the right audience and make your event a hit. Here’s a quick guide to get you started.
Create An Official Event Hashtag
The first thing you need to do is have an official hashtag for your event. That can be used by you, your marketing team, and followers to get the word out. Keep the name simple and memorable so people will remember it, something like #EventName or with the year added if it is an annually recurring event. Here’s how you can use the hashtag to encourage users on social media to use it themselves:
- Give away free prizes to registrants who use the hashtag
- Have a contest for the person that gets the most shares or likes using your hashtag
- Use it to offer discounts to people who share the hashtag in a social media post
The best part of hashtags is they work on all major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so on. The goal is to get your attendees and followers to use it, so their followers see it and find out about your event.
Videos & Live Streaming
The biggest growing trend in social media right now is video — both posting video recordings and live streaming something for your followers to enjoy. That’s perfect for your event, as you can broadcast key parts of your event to people who wouldn’t attend otherwise. Here’s how you can use video on social media to promote your event:
- Post video highlights of past events to your social media channels
- Record teaser videos and interviews with your key guests or speakers
- Live streaming using Twitch, YouTube, Twitter (via Periscope), Facebook (via Livestream)
Panels, celebrations, speeches, and entertainment are perfect for capturing on video and sharing on social media. Instagram and SnapChat are good ways to share quick 15 second videos for teasers and set up.
Facebook Event Page & Advertisements
When it comes to marketing your event, Facebook is one of the best platforms to use as a landing and information page for your event. It’s also a great place to buy advertising. It’s a great way to get the word out for a charity event if you need donations. Here’s how you can leverage it to promote your event:
- Event page that acts as a central hub for information and sharing announcements, videos, etc
- Use paid advertising Target influencers and industry leaders you want to either attend or talk about your event
- Create remarketing ads to target existing prospect lists you have
When it comes to paid advertising, Facebook has the most comprehensive and effective platform of all social media. Since they bought Instagram, you have the ability to create the same ads for both platforms.